logo

FORT McCLURE CHAPTER, Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania

 

Fort McClure House

This part of the "cabin area" had originally been a summer kitchen with a simple porch (as shown in a color print in "Frontier Forts of Pennsylvania"). In the 1960s, the chapter converted the summer kitchen into a meeting room, and had it sided with logs obtained locally from an old barn.
Since then, it has flooded several times, and the Fort McClure Chapter, NSDAR, Daughters have repaired the hardwood floor which buckled after the flood of the Susquehanna in 1997.



The interior of the cabin area of the house has an attractive fireplace
which now has a propane-log heater installed.  It is furnished with plank bottom chairs purchased by chapter members as well as several other antique items not seen in this photo.

  


The Stone Marker in front of the McClure House was dedicated on April 11, 1907, with several descendants of James McClure present. According to a complete newspaper account, it was a major event with lots of lengthy speeches, a luncheon, and took all day.  The chapter minutes indicate that this marker was originally placed in the back of the house; but, it was soon moved to the river side. 

   

The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

WEBMASTER